BARANGAY is the basic territorial and political unit in the Philippines. It refers to any established community in a municipality.
At present, Dinalupihan has 46 regular barangays, about 19 percent of the total 244 barangays in Bataan. Back in 1961, the municipality has only 20 barangays, more or less..
The barangays in Dinalupihan are categorized into the following:
Town Proper Barangays – Aquino, Bonifacio, Burgos, Del Pilar, General Luna, Gomez, Mabini Extension, Mabini Proper, Padre Dandan, Rizal, Roxas, San Isidro, Torres and Zamora;
Periphery Barangays – Old San Jose, New San Jose, Daang Bago, Luacan, Layac, Sta. Isabel, San Ramon; and
Upland Barangays – Bangal, Bayan-bayanan, Colo, Dalao, Happy Valley, Kataasan, Magsaysay, Maligaya, Naparing, Pag-asa, Pagalanggang, Payangan, Payumo Jr. Pentor, Pita, Pinulot, Roosevelt, Saguing, San Pablo, San Benito, San Simon, Sapang Balas, Sto. Nino, Tubo-tubo and Tucop..
Each barangay is governed by the Sangguniang Barangay whose officials are elected by the residents. The council is composed of a barangay captain, seven barangay members or councilmen, Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) chairman, a secretary and a treasurer.
Elected members of the council exercise powers and perform duties and functions as provided for in the Local Government Code of 1991. Being the legislative body of the barangay, they enforce all laws and ordinances which are applicable within the barangay.
In the municipal level, barangays captains have organized the so-called Association of Barangay Captains.
AQUINO is one of the so-called town center barangays of Dinalupihan. It was part of the old Poblacion. It is bounded in the north by Barangay Roxas, in the south by Burgos, in the east by Del Pilar and in the west by Mabini Proper. The 400-meter long barangay is accessible via the New San Jose-Poblacion National Road (also called Burgos Street). Aquino Street runs parallel with Roxas Street and starts from the conrer of Burgos down to San Isidro.
The barangay was named after Melchora Aquino, the so-called “Mother of the Katipunan.” It was in her yard in Pugadlawin where Andres Bonifacio and his Katipuneros tore up their cedulas to pieces on August 23, 1896. The event marked the so-called “Cry of Balintawak.”
Former Jose C. Payumo Jr. was the one who initiated the creation of the barangay in early 1982. He decided to name the place after the recognized title of the barangay’s major street which was Aquino. The Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan approved the conversion of Aquino from a street block to barangay on May 3, 1982 together with Payangan, Tubo-tubo, Maligaya, Bayan-bayanan and Pentor.
Aquino is considered one of the smallest barangays in the old Poblacion. It covers four residential blocks with an estimated total land area of two hectares. In year 2000, the population of
the barangay was registered at 1,749. It has no barangay school of its own. Children who wish to finish primary education enroll and attend classes in nearby schools in New San Jose, San Ramon and Bonifacio-P. Dandan area where the Dinalupihan Central Elementary school is situated.
BANGAL is the westernmost barangay of Dinalupihan. It lies on the eastern side of the Olongapo City-Dinalupihan boundary. Its closest neighbor is Barangay Roosevelt. The mountainous barangay has a total land area of 4.85 hectares.
The barangay is accessible via the Gapan-Olongapo National Road. Four barangay roads were laid down within the barangay, namely Legaspi, Gerona, Santos and A. Gordon Streets, with a total length of 3.2 kilometers. It has a complete school and a water system complete with water tank.
Bangal allegedly took its name from the Tagalog word “banga” or clay pot used for cooking. Another legend suggested that its name was derived from the word “bangkal,” a common forest tree which was abundant in the area before the advent of World War II.
Bangal was created as a regular barangay on September 13, 1968. It was former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. who instituted the proceedings to make Bangal a regular barangay of Dinalupihan, an unparalleled program of government he started in 1964.
Immediately after the creation of the barangay, Mayor Payumo also inaugurated a four-classroom primary school in the area. He completed the said school in 1980 while he was still the town mayor.
Initially a remote barangay, Bangal’s population increased tremendously after the SBMA-Tipo Gate opened in early 1990s. Transients who were employed or doing business inside the Subic Freeport made Tipo and the neighboring barangays, like Bangal, their temporary or permanent home. As of 2000, the population of Bangal was registered at 2,828.
BAYAN-BAYANAN is one of the three recognized ethnic communities in Dinalupihan. It is an Aeta resettlement area located at the foot of Mount Malasimbu, a famous natural landmark of the municipality. Its neighboring barangays include Pita and Sapang Balas in the east and Mount Malasimbu in the southwest. It is accessible via the five-kilometer long Pita Road. There are five barangay roads within the barangay and has a total land area of 55.63 hectares.
Bayan-bayanan is a Tagalog word which literally means “a small community,” a settlement area to be exact. The barangay was known by the same name even before its formal creation.
The population of Bayan-bayanan in 2000 was registered at 797.
It was former Mayor Jose C. Payumo and members of the Sangguniang Bayan who adopted the Municipal Resolution No. 90, dated November 13, 1978, which called for the creation of the barangay. The resolution was approved by Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan on May 3, 1982.
Bayan-bayan belongs to the East District. It is among the four distant communities (Bayan-bayanan, Sapang Balas, Sta. Catalina and Pentor) which maintain their respective primary schools. Some Aeta children are currently enrolled in the said school. The pupils continue their studies in nearby Pita Elementary School.
BONIFACIO is one of the town proper barangays of Dinalupihan. It was originally an 800-meter long street in the municipality starting from the Caulaman-Gumain River in the east and all the way down to the Dinalupihan Public Market area in the west. It is accessible through the Rizal Street and the Bonifacio Extension Road.
The barangay is bounded in the north by Burgos, Zamora and Gomez, in the south by Rizal and P. Dandan, in the east by the Caulaman-Gumain River, and in the west by Mabini Extension.
The barangay was named after Andres Bonifacio, the founder of the Katipunan.
The creation of Bonifacio was based on a Municipal Resolution No. 159 which was passed by the Municipal Council on October 13, 1969. It was initiated by former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr.
The Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan approved the said resolution on November 28, 1969, the effective date of its creation.
Bonifacio has a total land area of 2.10 hectares. It is populated by 510 people as of 2000 census.
BURGOS is one of the town proper barangays of Dinalupihan. Formerly a 450 meter long major street of the old Poblacion, it was created as a regular barangay by virtue of a resolution passed by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan on November 28, 1969
Former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. initiated the move for its creation by approving the Municipal Resolution No. 154 which was passed by the Dinalupihan municipal council on October 13, 1969.
Barangay Burgos was named after Don (Fr.) Jose Burgos, a well-known secular priest. Accesible via the Tucop-Poblacion National Road, It is bounded in the north by Aquino, in the south by Rizal, in the east by Zamora and in the west by Mabini Proper. It has an estimated land area of 4.11 hectares.
Burgos takes pride in having several residents who have served as municipal mayor of Dinalupihan, namely Jose C. Payumo Jr., Lucila Payumo, Jose Alejandre Payumo, and Joel Jaime Payumo, the current town executive.
Felicito C. Payumo, former congressman and chairman of the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority, resides in the barangay.
COLO is one of the southwestern barangays of Dinalupihan. It is about seven kilometers away from the town proper and accessible via the Gapan-Olongapo National Road. Residential houses abound on both side of the said highway. There are six barangay roads in the area, namely Liaban, Rosal, Everlasting, Ilang-ilang and Sampaguita. The total length of the roads is 4.28 kilometers.
The barangay is bounded in the north by Saguing, in the south by Hermosa, in the east by San Benito and in the west by Naparing.
It was initially created as a formal barangay on March 1, 1948, during the administration of Mayor Ramon Estanislao Jr. (1947-1951).
Colo is believed to have been established during the later part of the Spanish regime, at the time when it was the only inhabited place along the old Gapan-Olongapo Road. The name Colo is said to have originated from the Spanish word colocacion which literally means “a place of investment.” Old folks in the area claimed that Colo was once used exclusively as a stockyard for logs and timbers cut from the Zambales and Bataan forests. From Colo, the logs were then transported to the lowlands via the Almacen River.
The barangay was initially a vast area until it was subdivided into several communities, namely Naparing, San Benito and Happy Valley. The present barangay has a land area of 257.42 hectares.
BARANGAY DAANG BAGO
DAANG BAGO is the so-called “present north gateway” of Dinalupihan. It replaced Barangay (Old) San Jose which was the original entrance to Dinalupihan and Bataan coming from Floridablanca, Pampanga.
The barangay came into being in 1937, the year when the Lubao-Balsik-Layac Road (part of the Gapan-Olongapo National Road) was constructed to hasten the transport system between Pampanga and Bataan. It was also the period when road networks in Bataan were being developed in consonance with General Douglas MacArthur’s plan to prepare the peninsula as a military fortress.
Formerly a part of Barangay Layac, Daang Bago was created as a regular barangay the initiative of former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. It took the name Daang Bago which literally means “New Road.”
Daang Bago is bounded in the north by the Caulaman-Gumain River (or Balsik, Hermosa), in the south by Layac, in the east by Pulo, Hermosa, and in the west by Sta. Isabel. It has a land area of
937.90 hectares and populated by 4,360, who occupy both sides of the national road. There are 18 barangay roads traversing the community, the longest of which is the combined Payumo-Manalansan-Osmena-Sapang Kastila Road.
DALAO was recognized as a regular barangay on November 28, 1969. Its formal creation was based on Municipal Resolution No. 164 dated October 13, 1969. The change of status took a long time considering that the place was already inhabited by people as early as 1925. By 1930, the area was among the most populated upland communities in Dinalupihan. The settlers have also completed additional clearing of the forested areas in Dalao for agricultural purposes.
The present Dalao has a land area of 296.70 hectares. It is bounded in the north by Subic town (Zambales), in the south by Pita, in the east by Old San Jose, and in the west by Olongapo City. From the original 54 residents in 1950, the population ballooned to 300 in 1985. The number of residents was registered at 1,379 in 2002.
During the early months of World War II, Dalao was used as an informal evacuation center of civilians who fled from the town center upon the arrival of the Japanese soldiers. The place was also utilized as hideout of Filipino and American guerillas during the Japanese Occupation. It is said that Col. John P. Boone, commanding officer of the Bataan Military District (ECCGA), visited the guerillas encamped in the area many times.
After the war, the number of residents increased as some 47 former evacuees and guerillas decided to remain in the area which they started calling “Dalao.” Between 1950 and 1966, the population rose to 122 as more migrants came and settled in the area.
It was Esteban Layug Sr. who was appointed teniente del barrio of Dalao in 1966 who requested former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. to pass a resolution for the recognition of the place as a regular barangay. Three years later, Dalao was formally included in the list of regular barangays of Dinalupihan.
BARANGAY DEL PILAR
DEL PILAR, formerly a minor municipal road of Dinalupihan, was created by the Bataan Provincial Council as a regular barangay on November 28, 1969. It was former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. who initially approved the Municipal Resolution No. 152 dated October 13, 1969 calling for the creation of Del Pilar and other adjoining barangays located within the old Poblacion.
The barangay is bounded in the north by Aquino Street and by Bonifacio Street in the south. The 500-meter long Del Pilar Street runs parallel with Gomez and San Isdiro Streets. Del Pilar has a land area of 1.63 hectares and a population of 299.
The barangay derived its name from Marcelo H. del Pilar, the so-called “Great Propagandist” during the later part of the Spanish regime.
The barangay has a social hall, a day care center, health center but no elementary school. Children go and enroll at the Dinalupihan Elementary School for their primary education.
Marcelo H. Del Pilar was born in Bulacan on August 30, 1850. He finished his Law course from the University of Santo Tomas and his sense of justice led him early in life to campaign against the abuses of the Spanish friars. In 1882, he founded the nationalistic newspaper, “Diariong Tagalog.” While in exile in Spain, he took the editorship of the “La Solidaridad” and wrote scores of editorial and articles against the Spaniards under the penname “Plaridel.” He became the moving spirit behind the reform movement. He died on July 4, 1896.
BARANGAY GENERAL LUNA
GENERAL LUNA is a town proper barangay of Dinalupihan. It is bounded in the north by Aquino, in the south by Bonifacio (Extension), in the east by Mabini Proper, and in the west by San Ramon. It is accessible via the existing Olongapo-Poblacion Road where major bus companies ply their route.
It was created as a regular barangay based on Municipal Resolution No. 163 which adopted by the Municipal Council on October 13, 1969. It was approved by Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan on November 28, 1969, the effective date of its creation.
Instead of using another name, the residents merely adopted the original title of the major street in the area, that of General Antonio Luna, a colorful but very controversial military general who served under President Emilio Aguinaldo at the start of the Filipino-American War.
Barangay General Luna occupies both sides of its major street, as well as three minor thoroughfares, Narra (120 meters long), Mariano (120 meters) and Santos, the 130 meter long road which connects to the public market.
The barangay has a land area of 3.75 hectares and a population of 583 as of 2000.
General Antonio Luna was a Filipino propagandist who wrote articles for “La Solidaridad.” He also edited and partly owned another periodical called the “La Independencia.” At the onset of the Filipino-American hostilities, Luna served as a general of the Revolutionary Government under President Emilio Aguinaldo. On February 22, 1899, he attempted to recapture Manila but the Americans fought back and repulsed his army with heavy losses. On June 5, 1899, he went to Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija to talk to Aguinaldo. But he was shot and stabbed to death by Aguinaldo’s men. His assassins were never investigated nor punished for their crime.
GOMEZ is among the smallest barangays in Dinalupihan in terms of land area and population. It is a two-block community and bounded in the north by Aquino, in the south by Bonifacio, in the east by Del Pilar, and in the west by Zamora.
Barangay Gomez is accessible via Bonifacio and Aquino Streets. It is close to the Dinalupihan Civic Center, and the Dinalupihan Elementary School where children enroll for their primary education.
Its creation as a regular barangay was approved by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan on November 28, 1969, together with other barangays like, San Isidro, Del Pilar, Roxas, Torres, Bonifacio and General Luna, among others. The said creation was based on approved Municipal Resolution No. 153 dated October 13, 1969.
The barangay was named after Fr. Mariano Gomez, a Secular priest from Cavite who was executed by the Spaniads in 1872, together with Fr. Jose Burgos and Fr. Jacinto Zamora. The three martyr-priests are more popularly known as Gomburza.
Fr. Mariano Gomez, together with Fr. Jose Burgos and Fr. Jacinto Zamora were regarded as trailblazers in the nationalist movement among the secular clergy. They were executed in 1872 on orders of Governor-General Rafael de Izquierdo. The unjust execution of the three Filipino priests was a turning point in Philippine history for it ushered in a new era, the reform movement.
BARANGAY HAPPY VALLEY
HAPPY VALLEY, formerly a part of Barangay Naparing and Pinulot, used to be a simple parking and rest area of cargo haulers and truckers doing business in Olongapo City and Zambales province. Early settlers of the place were simple farm workers. Gradually, fruit and food stallowners and traders started occupying both sides of the Gapan-Olongapo Road to conduct business with motorists and truckers.
In time, the place became an established community. Its population expanded further after an enterprising company developed the Happy Valley Homes, the housing subdivision intended for middle-income families. Since then, the place became more popularly known as Happy Valley.
It was former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. who initiated the move to convert the area into a regular barangay in the early part of his third term as mayor (1972-1976). He sought the support of the municipal council which immediately passed Resolution No. 272 on October 16, 1972. But the provincial government’s approval came much later after Rogelio Arsua, former barangay captain of Pinulot, questioned the validity of the resolution. He claimed that the new barangay greatly affected the boundaries of the old Pinulot.
After hearing both sides of the argument, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan finally adopted the municipal resolution and proclaimed Happy Valley as a new barangay on November 15, 1973.
Barangay Happy Valley is bounded in the north by Maligaya and Payangan, in the south by Hermosa, in the east by Naparing, and in the west by Pinulot. In addition to the national road, the barangays is traversed by nine barangay roads (First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Streets, as well as Sampaguita, Ilang-ilang and Camia Streets) with a total length of 1.83 kilometers.
Happy Valley has total land area of 17.71 hectares. The barangay has a social hall and plaza, a complete school, a Catholic chapel and a Petron gasoline station.
KATAASAN is a periphery barangay of Dinalupihan. It is accessible via the New San Jose-General Luna Provincial Road (also known as Pag-asa Street). Its entire length starts from corner of General Luna Street and up to Irrigation Street area, about one kilometer long.
Kataasan literally means “hilly area.” But in its case, kataasan was adopted to suggest “a place near a mountain.” It is bounded in the north by Sto. Nino, in the south by San Ramon, in the east by
Mabini Proper, Torres and Roxas, and in the west by Luacan. The barangay has four major roads: Pag-asa, Irrigation, Kataasan and Mulawin Streets. Pag-asa is 1.15 kilometer long while Kataasan Street measures 2.53 kilometers.
Kataasan was initially created as a regular barangay on March 22, 1960 and renamed Sta. Maria. A decade later, the barangay was involved in a boundary issue with the creation of Barangay Sto. Nino. After determining the boundaries of the “new” Kataasan and Sto. Nino, the municipal council passed another resolution for the recognition of the two barrios. The Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan approved the said resolution on March 7, 1974, the effective date of the creation of Kataasan and Sto. Nino.
Kataasan has a total land area of 140.58 hectares and with a population of 3,460, based on 200_ Census.
The barangay plays host to four cemeteries of the town, namely the Roman Catholic Cemetery, the Municipal Cemetery, Gate to Heaven Cemetery and the Family Shrine. The Dinalupihan Water District is also based in Kataasan.
LAYAC is the so-called crossroads of Bataan, Zambales and Pampanga. It is where the Gapan-Olongapo Road and the Bataan National Road intersect.
Layac is a hallowed ground. It was here where stiff fighting between the USAFFE and the Japanese Army took place from January 2 to 6, 1942. It was a military maneuver with the aim of holding the line long enough for other USAFFE units to enter Bataan. It was also in Layac where one Filipino soldier, Sgt. Jose Calugas, almost single-handedly took over a 75-mm gun and stopped a Japanese tank advance. For his feat, Calugas earned a U.S. Congressional Medal of Honor.
In honor of the men and women who fought and died in Layac during the war, a monument was erected at the center of the barangay, more popularly known as Layac Junction. The monument was built by the 38th Infantry Division, Army of the United States. The monument also marks the liberation of Dinalupihan from the Japanese on January 19, 1945.
The said monument was replaced by another shrine.
The present Layac is bounded in the north by Daang Bago, in the south by Palihan, Hermosa, in the east by Pulo, Hermosa, and in the west by Sta. Isabel. It has a total area of 40.45 hectares. As of 2000, the barangay registered a total population of 1,349.
The name Layac, according to local historians, was derived from the Tagalog word Labak, which literally means “marshland” or “low-lying watery ground.” They claimed that the constant flooding in the area during rainy season explains why it was called as such.
Recent researches conducted by the Dinalupihan historical committee, however, revealed that the name Layac came from two Spanish words laya (shovel) and layar (to dig with a shovel). Layac’s general appearance, it turned out, is likened to a shovel (spade) buried inside northern Hermosa, in the vicinity of Barangays Balsik, Pulo, Palihan, Culis and JRC-Mandama.
The committee also concluded that the place was already in existence during the Spanish period and that the watery condition of the area during rainy season only came about after the Daang Bago (Lubao-Balsik-Layac) Road was constructed in 1937.
The formal creation of the barangay was placed in 1915, during the term of Governor Maximino delos Reyes.
In addition to the Layac monument, the barangay has a hall, a chapel, complete school and hosts the National Irrigation Administration (NIA) office.
LUACAN is a periphery barangay of Dinalupihan. It is located south of the old Pablacion. It is bounded in the north by Sapang Balas, in the south by Almacen River, in the east by San Ramon and Kataasan, and in the west by Payumo and Saguing. It is accessible via the Gapan-Olongapo National Road (either through San Ramon or General Luna.
The barangay has two major roads, namely Pinili Avenue (1.02 kilometers long) and Federico A. Muli Avenue (896 meters long). On the north side, there is the Tambao Road (3.19 kilometers long) which connects to Sto. Nino while Maguindong Road (3.5 km. long) leads to Barangay Jose C. Payumo Jr.
Luacan occupies both side of the national road. It is one of the biggest barangays in town in terms of developed areas as well as in population.. It has well-planned housing areas with better road network. It has a barangay elementary school and takes pride in hosting the biggest of the four public high schools in Dinalupihan.
There is no exact explanation as to how it got its name. Local historians still disagree as to whether the name was derived from the Tagalog words Labakan (watery ground) or Kalawakan (vast area). Whatever is the real answer, residents are one in saying that Luacan was part and parcel of the on-going progress in the municipality.
Luacan, established as a barangay in 1915, has a total land area of 1,027.60 hectares and a population of 5,366.
BARANGAY MABINI EXTENSION
MABINI EXTENSION is a town center barangay of Dinalupihan. It is bounded in the north by Mabini Proper, in the south and east by Rizal, and in the west by San Ramon. It is accessible via the Rizal Street and the Gapan-Olongapo Road.
The barangay’s total road network is about 700 meters long. The existing roads include Mabini Extension Street, Lucio Reyes Street, B. Dizon Sr. Street, R. Estanislao Street and part of San Juan Extension and Dona Rosa Streets.
Mabini Extension was created as a regular barangay by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan on November 28, 1969 based on the approved Municipal Resolution No. 160 dated October 13, 1969.
The barangay has a land area of 3.10 hectares and a population of 712 people based on the 200_ Census.
In addition to Barangay Rizal, Mabini Extension partly plays host to the St. John the Baptist Church and the St. John Academy.
Apolinario Mabini is more popularly known as the “Brains of the Revolution.” Mabini, a paralytic, is a model in determination and an icon in heroism. He worked hard to earn a Law degree and used his knowledge in the service of his country. He was a member of Jose Rizal’s “La Liga Filipina.” It took hundred of men taking turns at carrying the paralytic Mabini in a hammock from Los Banos, Laguna to see Aguinaldo in Kawit, Cavite. Aguinaldo, upon seeing Mabini’s condition, thought he made a mistake in asking for his help in governing the new republic. But the firmness in Mabini’s voice helped Aguinaldo decide to make him his most trusted adviser. Envious enemies called Mabini the “Dark Chamber of the President.”
BARANGAY MABINI PROPER
MABINI PROPER is among the 14 town proper barangays of Dinalupihan. It used to a minor street about 500 meters long running parallel with Burgos Street. It originates from the corner of Bonifacio Extension Street in the south and ends up in Roxas Street in the north. Houses dominate both sides of the Mabini Street.
The original Mabini Street covered the span from Roxas Street and down to Dona Rosa Street in the south, about one kilometer long. But it was cut into half after Mabini Extension was separated and made into a separate barangay in 1969.
General Luna Street, an access road of Mabini Proper in the north, leads to Olongapo City. Another access road, the Bonifacio Extension Street, ends up at the public market.
Mabini Street was automatically converted into a regular barangay with new boundaries after a resolution was passed by the municipal council on October 13, 1969 calling for the creation of Mabini Extension. The said Municipal Resolution No. 156 was approved by Sangguniang Panlalawigan on November 28, 1969.
Mabini has an estimated area of 2.66 hectares. Its population was placed at 396 in 200_.
Apolinario Mabini is the so-called “Sublime Paralytic” and “Brains of the Katipunan.” He was born in Tanauan, Batangas and received his law degree from the University of Sto. Tomas in 1894. He became a paralytic in 1896. As Emilio Aguinaldo’s adviser, he prepared the initial draft of the Malolos Constitution. After its promulgation, Mabini was appointed as President of the Cabinet and Secretary of Foreign Affairs.
Originally known as Colo Corba (Colo road curve), Barangay MAGSAYSAY is situated along the stretch of the Gapan-Olongapo National Road, at the site where the very first of the many curves or zigzag along the said national road is located. It is bounded in the north by Pagasa, in the south by Almacen River, in the east by San Benito and in the west by Colo.
The barangay, measuring 59.61 hectares, was the site of a sawmill which operated in the area starting in 1950. The road condition at that time was at its worst as a result of the Battle of Zigzag Pass in the area during the Liberation period. It was during President Ramon Magsaysay’s administration (1953-1957) that the rough road leading to Olongapo City and Zambales was developed. It was during the operation of the sawmill that the place became populated.
The area, initially known as Sitio Corba and acknowledged as part of San Benito, was proclaimed as a regular barangay on March 21, 1959 based on an approved Municipal Resolution No. 19. The its final approval was shelved by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan.
In 1964, Magsaysay was finally recognized as a regular barangay, one of the first acts of Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. He personally chose Magsaysay as its name to honor the memories of the popular Philippine president. That same year, the first classroom was built in the area. It took only a year before the said school was completed. It was a blessing to children who in the past were forced to enroll in Colo and San Benito to be able to complete their primary education.
The present population of Magsaysay was placed at 1,436 in 2000. A number of the residents are involved in agriculture and sawali and torch making. Others are employed at the Subic Freeport and in Olongapo City.
Ramon F. Magsaysay was the third President of the Republic of the Philippines. He served from December 30, 1953 until his death on March 17, 1957. Married to Luz Banzon-Magsaysay of Balanga, Bataan, he served as Secretary of National Defense prior to his election as president. He implemented the Magna Carta of Labor, established the Social Security System, National Resettlement and Rehabilitation Administration (NARRA) and supported the founding of the Southeast Asia Treaty Organization in 1954. He was a very popular president. He perished in a plane crash in Mount Manunggal, Cebu.
MALIGAYA was recognized as a regular barangay on May 3, 1982 through the effort of former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. It is situated near the Dinalupihan-Zambales boundary, near the foot of Mount Malasimbu.
It is bounded in the north by Payumo, in the south by Pagasa, in the east by Saguing and in the west by Tubo-tubo. It has a total land area of 397.78 hectares and a population of 948 people, based on 200_ Census.
The barangay is accessible via Saguing, through Ilang-ilang Road which leads to the center of the Maligaya. It has a complete elementary school since 1994, through the initiative of former Mayor Lucila P. Payumo.
One of the noted occupations of Maligaya is tinapa-making although the major industries are farming, mango and banana growing.
NAPARING is among the eight barangays that are located along the zigzag portion of the Gapan-Olongapo National Road. Coming from the direction of the Dinalupihan town proper, Naparing is the second barangay next to Colo.
It was created as a new barangay on November 3, 1972.
Naparing is bounded in the north by Payangan and Tubo-tubo, in the south by Almacen River, in the east by Colo and in the west by Happy Valley. It has a total hectarage of 156.26.
There are eight barangay roads in the barangay, namely J. Payumo Street, Manalang, Vispo, Mendoza, De Jesus, De Leon, Ilao and Naparing Barangay Roads with a total length of 8.85 kilometers. Unfortunately, there is no existing record as to how the barangay got its name.
The barangay has a primary school. Children who wish to finish elementary education enroll in either Colo or Happy Valley.
BARANGAY NEW SAN JOSE
A periphery barangay, NEW SAN JOSE is situated along the Floridablanca-Dinalupihan National road. It covers both sides of the stretch starting from the Pita-Old San Jose Junction down to Sto. Nino-Poblacion Junction. The whole stretch is about 1.5 kilometers long. The total land area of the barangay is placed at 207.77 hectares.
New San Jose is bounded in the north by Old San Jose, in the south by Poblacion, in the east by Pampanga (Gumain River) and in the west by Sto. Nino. It has an intricate road network composed of 20 minor streets that has a total span of four kilometers, more or less.
The barangay grew out of the original barrio presently called Old San Jose which was established as a barrio in 1802, during the time when Dinalupihan was still a part of Hermosa.
As the new community expanded, Mayor Federico A. Muli had decided on creating two more separate and distinct barangays out of the old San Jose. A resolution creating Barangays Sto. Nino, New San Jose and Old San Jose (with new boundaries) was passed by the Municipal Council in 1961. It was approved by the provincial council on January 15, 1962. A complete elementary school was built in the area thereafter.
The population of the barangay was last registered at 5,249, one of the biggest in Dinalupihan.
BARANGAY OLD SAN JOSE
OLD SAN JOSE is one of the most progressive barangays of Dinalupihan. It is located in the northwestern part of the town, bounded in the north by Pagalanggang, in the south and east by New San Jose, and in the west by Pita. The barangay land area is measured at 95.73 hectares.
It was initially recognized as a distant barrio of Hermosa in 1802, at the time was the whole Dinalupihan was also part of its mother town. The original settlers of the barangay were mostly workers at the Dinalupihan Hacienda which was owned by the Archbishop of Manila.
The first chapel in the barrio was built in 1889. It was placed under the patronage of Saint Joseph whose image was donated by an old pious woman named Apong Unda. It was the same woman who donated a huge copper bell with inscriptions of San Jose.
Old San Jose who created as a regular barrio in 1915, during the administration of Governor Maximino delos Reyes. The first primary school in the barangay was established in 1918. Some of the pioneer teachers were G. Jaring, Selerio Evangelista, Agapito Dulce, Fabian de Leon and others. The school became a complete learning institution in 1953.
Late in 1961, Mayor Federico A. Muli decided on creating two more barangays out of Old San Jose. In 1962, Sto. Nino and New San Jose became new barangays of Dinalupihan. In effect, Old San Jose lost a lot of hectarage.
The 2000, the population of Old San Jose was registered at 1,431. Residents occupy both sides of the Floridablanca-Dinalupihan National Road and Manalang Street.
BARANGAY PADRE DANDAN
Formerly two minor but connecting streets in old Poblacion, PADRE DANDAN-DONA ROSA became a regular barangay on November 28, 1969. It was made possible by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan which approved Municipal Resolution No. 162 dated October 13, 1969. Former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. initiated the move for the creation of the said barangay.
Padre Dandan refers to Father Pedro Dandan, a rebel priest who was elected as president of the Departamental Government of Central Luzon in 1897. The election was held sometime in May 1897 in Mount Puray, some 15 kilometers north of Antipolo, Rizal, which served as the camp of General Licerio Geronimo. Those who attended the election were representatives from Maila, Morong, Bulakan, Laguna, Nueva Ecija, Bataan, Tarlac, and Pangasinan
Dona Rosa refers to Rosa Sevilla, a great Filipino writer and staff member of the periodical La Independencia, partly owned by General Antonio Luna. The periodical was so nationalistic that the Americans tried to suppress it, but did not succeed.
The combined length of P. Dandan-Dona Rosa is measured at 500 meters long. Both sides of the connecting streets are lined with houses. Formerly the market site, Padre Dandan is presently the home of the Dinalupihan Elementary School, Civic Center and Health Center. The community is very thinly populated. In 2000, its population registered at 210 residents.
PAG-ASA, a 112-hectare barangay located north of Colo and Magsasay, was created by the Dinalupihan Municipal Council on October 11, 1971. The Sangguniang Bayan Resolution No. 63 called for its creation and was approved by Sangguniang Panlalawigan on December 10, 1971.
The barangay is bounded in the north by Tubo-tubo, in the south by Magsaysay, in the east by San Benito, and in the west by Colo. It is accessible via the Gapan-Olongapo National Road. Tubo-tubo River supplies water via an irrigation canal which traverses the barangay.
Records have it that Pag-asa used to be a vast area. Purok I and II were transformed into Barangay San Benito. Purok III, formerly a calamansi orchard, now belongs to Barangay Magsaysay. And lastly, Purok IV is now part of Colo.
Old folks still remember Fr. Badong, Fr. Elbano, and Fr. Esteban who initiated and completed the barangay chapel where the patron saint is Jesus of Nazareth. The priests also established a bakery in the area, an irrigation canal and a parochial school near barangay plaza. The three priests and residents left the place during the war after the houses and establishments were destroyed. People returned after the war and the population grew thereafter. This led to Mayor Payumo’s decision to formalize the creation of the area into a regular barangay. And to help the residents, he declared the area as municipal nursery.
Pag-asa has a day care center, barangay hall and plaza, water system, a chapel and a complete elementary school. It has 331 households and a population of 1,891 (2000 Census).
In naming the barangay, Mayor Payumo had decided to call it Pag-asa in honor of Pagasa Estanislao Pascual, wife of then Governor Efren B. Pascual.
PAGALANGGANG is presumed as one of the two oldest barrios in Dinalupihan. It was part of the old Dinalupihan Hacienda which was developed by former Manila Archbishop Juan Antonio Zulaibar in 1817, some 52 years before Dinalupihan was created as a regular town.
Records have it that it was in Pagalanggang, not Tucop, where the first sugar mill in Bataan was established in 1910. Railroad tracks and and rolling stocks for delivering sugar cane to the mill were laid out in the two agricultural barrios. It was former Governor Maximino delos Reyes who created the Pagalanggang and Tucop into regular barrios in 1915. Unfortunately, the sugar central was shut down and abandoned in 1919 (see Pagalanggang Sugar Mill).
There was a time when Pagalanggang was called “Pasot” by the residents.This was due to the fact that the biggest landowner then was named William Fassoth, a wealthy American who was known for his kindness to the locals.
The present Pagalanggang is bounded in the north by Tucop, in the south by New San Jose, in the east by Pampanga and in the west by Old San Jose. It has a land area of 311.64 hectares and a population of 3,524 people.
The barangay can be reached through the Floridablanca-Dinalupihan National Road. Inside the barangay is a network of barangays roads with a total length of 32 kilometers, more or less. The longest is Puko Road which is 4.7 kilometers long.
Pagalanggang has an elementary and high school facilities, barangay hall, day care and health centers. It also host the Dinalupihan Waste Management facility.
Barangay name: “Pag-galang/Gang”; paga- payment of wages; lanzar, to release paymen.
PAYANGAN is an upland barangay where a big number of Aeta families are settled. It was created as a formal community on November 13, 1978 as per Dinalupihan Municipal Resolution No. 90. The resolution was approved by Sanguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan on May 3, 1982, the exact date of its creation as a regular barangay.
It was former Mayor Jose C. Payumo, together with the municipal council, who took the initiative to change the status of Payangan from a mere sitio to a regular barangay.
The ethnic community is bounded in the north by Olongapo City mountains, in the south and west by Pinulot, and in the east by Tubo-tubo. It is accessible via San Pablo, and about four kilometers away from the Gapan-Olongapo National Road.
At present, there exists a mixed culture in Payangan. A big number of lowlanders have also settled in the community. The so-called “unats” have been successful in co-existing with the “kulots.”
BARANGAY JOSE C. PAYUMO JR.
JOSE C. PAYUMO JR., was a former sugar plantation known as Sitio Dulit. It was initially recognized as a sitio and part of Barangay Saguing. It was established as a regular barangay on October 25, 1989 based on SP Resolution No. 225 of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan.
It was no less than the late Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. who worked for the formal conversion of the sitio to a barangay. In return, the residents have unanimously decided to name the barangay “J.C. Payumo Jr.”
The barangay has a total land area of 102.19 hectares and has a population of 1,953 as of 2005. It is bounded in the north by Bayan-bayanan, in the south by Saguing (Lourdes), in the east by Luacan and in the west by Maligaya. It is accessible via the Saguing Road which connects to the Gapan-Olongapo National Road.
The original owners of the place were the Payumo and Penaflor families of Dinalupihan. In the absence of an administrator, the two families have decided to distribute the parcels of land to the farmers and long-time settlers of the area in the hope of making it more productive.
The barangay has a newly-refurbished barangay hall (built in 1998), day care center (1991), barangay jail (1995), health center, playpen, solar dryer, open canals, concrete roads and barangay plaza/basketball court.
PENTOR is a residential-agricultural community situated east of the old Poblacion. It is bounded in the north by San Isidro, in the south by Sta. Isabel, in the east by Caulaman-Gumain River, and in the west by Poblacion.
It is accessible via the Bonifacio Street that connects to Fermin and Napoleon Streets. Ten other minor streets comprised the road network inside the barangay.
The barangay has a land area of 207.87 hectares and a population of 2,121, based on 2000 Census.
Pentor is among the last batch of new barangays recognized by the government. It was created on May 3, 1982, together with Payangan, Tubo-tubo, Maligaya, Bayan-bayanan and Aquino.
In addition to a chapel, barangay plaza, day care and health center, Pentor has a primary school offering classes from Grades I to IV.
In July 2006, Pentor was declared a calamity area after the old Pentor river control project gave way to heavy floodwater and left the town impassable for two days.
PINULOT is an upland barangay accessible via the western Gapan-Olongapo National Road. It is bounded in the north by Payangan, in the south by Mabiga (Hermosa), in the east by Happy Valley, and in the west by San Pablo.
The barangay has a total land area of 464.98. The bigger portion of the area is located on the north side of the national road. A total of four barangay roads traverse the residential area of the barangay. The roads include Reyes, Pastolero, Planas and Cabilangan Streets which have a toal length of about 1.3 kilometers.
Pinulot has been in existence before the war. It was only formally created as a barangay on December 14, 1972, together with Barangay Happy Valley. Just like Barangay Roosevelt, the population of Pinulot expanded after informal settlers started building their abodes in the area. Unchecked, the population grew tremendously. As of 2000, the population was registered at 6,421. It is expected to increase further as new subdivisions are being planned in the area.
PITA, also known as Sta. Lucia is located northwest of Dinalupihan, at the foot of Mounts Isip, Teranus, Marikit, Aliabon, Basaw, Timawan, Marubao, Banasi and Kamang. It is bounded in the north
by Dalao, in the south by Sapang Balas, in the east by Old San Jose and in the west by Bayan-bayanan. It is about 4 kilometers away from the Pita-Old San Jose Junction (Floridablanca-Dinalupihan National Highway). It is accessible via the Pita (Tuazon) Provincial Road.
Pita was created as a regular barangay by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan on October 24, 1975 with the aid of an approved municipal resolution initiated by then Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr.
There are 3 barangay roads existing in the area. The three major roads in the barangay include the Pita, David, and Don Roman Streets. A major creek runs through the barangay.
It is said that the name Pita was dervided from the Tagalog word pita-pita which means “muddy road.” It was the general condition of the place during pre-war when there were only 30 families residing in the area. People had to walk or ride on a caromata to bring their farm products to Poblacion. But even before the advent of World War II, Pita was fortunate enough to have a primary school which offered classes for Grades I and II. To complete elementary education, children enrolled at the San Jose Barrio School. It was only in 1985 when the school in Pita.
The present Pita is on its way to progress and development. The place is fully energized and has become a favorite tourist spot among the locals. In addition to its closeness to Mount Malasimbu, Pita hosts three inland resorts, namely Holoday Resort, Summer Hill and JI Garcia Resort. There is also a plan to put up a Bataan State College annex (College of Agriculture) in Pita in the near future.
Barangay RIZAL is acknowledged as the biggest town proper barangay in Dinalupihan in terms of land area. It measures about 15.46 hectares.
It is bounded in the north by Bonifacio, in the south by Sta. Isabel, in the east by P. Dandan, and in the west by Mabini Extension and San Ramon. It was created as a regular barangay by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan. The recognition was based on the approved Municipal Resolution No. 161 dated October 13, 1969.
Rizal used to be the name of one of the two major streets in the old Poblacion. The street had been in existence since the early 1800s but under another name. The barangay covers both sides of the 800 meter-stretch starting from the corner of Gapan-Olongapo National Road-Rizal Street Junction and up to the corner of Bonifacio Street. The barangay plays host to the St. John the Baptist
Church, St. John Academy, town plaza, Northern Bataan Institute, Coca Cola Sale Center, and the Mount Malasimbu CATV. The Immaculate Heart of Mary School, a private school established by the late Remegio Reyes, is also located in Rizal.
Dr. Jose Rizal (1861-1896) is the country’s national hero. He was a great reformist and propagandist who wrote two famous novels, “Noli Me Tangere” and “El Filibusterismo.” After four years of banishment in Dapitan, he left for Spain on board a ship. But before the ship could dock at Barcelona, he was arrested and returned to Manila. He was tried on charge of treason and complicity in the 1986 revolution. He died by musketry in Luneta.
ROOSEVELT is one of the more popular barangays located in the western part of Dinalupihan. It is accessible via the Gapan-Olongapo National Road.
The barangay is bounded Olongapo City in the north, by Tipo and Sacrifice Valley, Hermosa in the south, by San Pablo in the east and by Bangal in the west. It occupies both sides of the national road.
Roosevelt has a land area of 101.72 hectares. It has 15 barangay roads with a total length of 7.23 kilometers. It has a barangay hall, plaza, complete school, chapel and a cemetery. And most important of all, the barangay takes pride of having the Dinalupihan Nature’s Park. The park, formerly a popular Boy Scout regional campsite, was transformed into an impressive inland resort, recreational facility and wildlife sanctuary.
The barangay was named after Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the 32nd president of the United States of America (1933-1945). The said name was originally given to the park which was used as a command post the Americans troops during the Liberation. It became vone of the sites of the reforestration programs launched in Bataan in early 1960.
For many years, the park was the most frequented tourist spot in Dinalupihan. Later on, local residents and migrant workers started settling in the area. Squatting on public lands remained unabated and the population multiplied in just a few years. In 2000, the population of Roosevelt was registered at 5,535, making it the most populated upland barangay in Dinalupihan.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the 32nd president of the United States. He steered the country out of the deepest Depression and became the only president to serve more than two terms. He was elected to a fourth term in 1944 but died before World War II ended in 1945.
ROXAS is one of the 15 town proper barangays of Dinalupihan. It is bounded in the north by Torres, in the south by Aquino, in the east by San Isidro, and in the west by Sto. Nino. It is accessible via the Rizal-Burgos Street, also known as the Floridablanca-Dinalupihan National Road.
The barangay has a total land area of about 1.89 hectares and a population of 423 based on 200_ Census.
Roxas used to be a minor street in the old Poblacion. At present, it is purely a residential area, about four blocks long or exactly 434 meters. Back in 1961, former Mayor Federico A. Muli attempted to create the eastern portion of Roxas as another barangay. The lot, starting from the corner of
San Isidro, was declared as Barrio Bana. The declaration, however, was not fully implemented up to the present.
It was former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. and the Sangguniang Bayan members who initiated the move to include Roxas (and the Bana area) to the list of 14 other areas to be created as new barangays of Dinalupihan. To effect the change in status, the municipal council passed Municipal Resolution Nos. 150 to 164 on October 13, 1969. The resolution was approved by the provincial government on November 28, 1969, the exact date of creation of Roxas.
Manuel A. Roxas, a former general, was the Philipine president from July 4, 1946 to April 15, 1948. He spearheaded the rehabilitation and reconstruction of the country ravaged by war. He established friendly relations with the US, Europe, Nationalist China and Japan. He died in his sleep on April 15, 1948 after delivering a speech in Clark Air Base, Pampanga. He was replaced by Vice President Elpidio Quirino.
SAGUING, also called Lourdes, is the immediate barangay located after Luacan when traversing the Gapan-Olongapo National Road going west. It is bounded in the north by Maligaya and Jose Payumo, in the south by Hermosa (Almacen River), in the east by Luacan, and in the west by Pag-asa. It is reachable via the Gapan-Olongapo National Road. It occupies both side of the said road.
The barangay has a total land area of 967.11 hectares and a population of 4,844 as of 2000. Saguing has a chapel, health center, elementary school, barangay hall and plaza.
Saguing was first known as part of Luacan. At that time, it had no chapel, no barrio lieutenant and no school of its own. In 1935, it was separated from Luacan and became a regular barangay through the initiative of former Mayor Teodoro David (1932-1935, 1935-1937).
Pedro Dulit became its first barrio lieutenant. Immediately thereafter, a chapel was built in the area through the leadership of Rufino Dimson, a wealthy haciendero from Lubao, Pampanga. During the early months of World War II, Dulit was arrested by the Japanese and was hanged to death from a mango tree somewhere within the barrio.
A public school was established in the barrio in 1948 using the chapel as classroom. The first school building was erected in the barrio in April 1951 and was occupied in July 1952. It was made possible through the initiative of former Mayor Federico A. Muli.
Barangay Saguing, incidentally, is the gateway to Barangay Bacong, Hermosa. Saguing-Dulit Road, meanwhile, leads to Barangay JC Payumo
BARANGAY SAN BENITO
SAN BENITO is a periphery barangay situated on the southern part of the Gapan-Olongapo National Road, between Barangays Saguing and Magsasay. It is bounded in the north by Pag-asa, in the south by Hermosa, in the east by Luacan and Saguing, and in the west by Magsaysay. It measures some 334.94 hectares and inhabited by 1,460 residents as of 2000.
It was recognized as a regular barangay in 1963, through the efforts of former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. and the members of the municipal council.
Simeon Pulinday was the first elected barrio captain and served for 30 years continuously. A year after, a primary school opened in the area with Mrs. Paciencia de Guzman as the first multi-grade teacher. The school was completed in 1968. San Benito has its own Roman Catholic Chapel, an Iglesia chapel, health center, barangay hall and plaza.
San Benito is the gateway to Barangay Pag-asa in the north, and Bamban, Hermosa in the south.
BARANGAY SAN ISIDRO
SAN ISIDRO is a former minor street of the old Poblacion prior to its creation as a regular barangay. It was formally recognized on November 28, 1969 by the Provincial Government of Bataan. Its creation was based on a Municipal Resolution No. 151 which was passed by the Dinalupihan Municipal Council on October 13, 1969.
The barangay was named after its local patron saint, San Isidro Labrador, the patron of farm workers.
San Isidro residents occupy both sides of the 400-meter long barangay road which covers two residential blocks. It is bounded in the north by Barangay Roxas, in the south by Bonifacio, in the east by the Gumain-Caulaman River, in the west by Barangay Del Pilar. It is accessible via the Roxas Street in the north and by Bonifacio Street in the south.
Though a residential community, the eastern side of the barangay is being utilized for agricultural purposes, a major factor which differentiates San Simon from its 14 neighboring town proper barangays. The said agricultural area is being irrigated by a nearby creek.
The barangay has a hall, day care and health center but no elementary school. Children enroll at the Dinalupihan Elementary School for their primary education.
BARANGAY SAN PABLO
SAN PABLO is a periphery barangay located along the western end of the Gapan-Olongapo National Road. It is situated a few kilometers away from Barangay Pinulot. It was created as a regular barangay on May 3, 1982 during the term of Mayor Jose C. Payumo, Jr.
Let it be mentioned that the barangay lies in a very interesting location because immediately after San Pablo comes Tipo, Hermosa, and not Barangay Roosevelt. The situation is similar to the case of Balsik, Hermosa which also protrudes across the said national highway.
San Pablo is a mountainous area. It is not surprising that zigzag is present along the entire stretch of the barangay. Houses were built on both sides of the said highway. The barangay has a
hall, plaza, chapel, a complete elementary school and eight barangay roads. Xerox Road is the longest at 1.5 kilometers. It leads to Barangay Pinulot.
Some 1,151 people reside in the area, based on 2000 Census.
BARANGAY SAN RAMON
SAN RAMON is undoubtedly the most progressive barangays in Dinalupihan. It is also the seat of government in the municipality. It hosts the Dinalupihan Municipal Building.
The Dinalupihan public market and common terminal, Bataan State College, St. Joseph School, Land Bank of the Philippines, GSIS building, Pag-ibig Fund building, Jose C. Payumo Memorial Hospital and big commercial establishments such as ChowKing, Jollibee, Vercons, and Elizabeth Supermarket are all located in San Ramon. The Dinalupihan Track and Field Oval, the most complete sports facility in Bataan is also situated in the barangay.
The barangay is bounded in the north by Kataasan and Poblacion, in the south by Hermosa, in the east by Poblacion (Rizal and Mabini), and in the west by Luacan. It is situated at the crossroads of the Dinalupihan-Olongapo National Road and the Gapan-Olongapo (Diversion) Road. It has a total land area of 95.46 hectares and a population of 2,600 as of 2000.
San Ramon was established as a barangay on May 3, 1982, during the administration of former Mayor Jose C. Payumo, Jr.
In addition to the various government and commercial establishments in the area, San Ramon is also famous of its top barangay product: balut.
BARANGAY SAN SIMON
SAN SIMON was created as a formal barangay on November 15, 1973, during the administration of former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. Its creation was based on a Municipal Resolution dated December 14, 1972.
San Simon, the northernmost barangay of Dinalupihan, is bounded by Lubao, Pampanga in the north, by Barangay Tucop in the south, by Pampanga in the east and by Zambales mountains in the west. In the north, it shares boundary with San Pedro Segundo, Lubao, Pampanga.
It is accessible via the old Floridablanca-Dinalupihan National Road. The barangay occupies both sides of the said thoroughfare. It has eight barangay roads, namely Guevarra, A. Montemayor, Santos, San Simon, M. Montemayor, Sudiam, N. Montemayor and P. Sison. The longest barangay road is A. Montemayor, about 2.1 kilometers long.
San Simon is presently inhabited by 877 people. It has a barangay hall, plaza and a complete elementary school.
BARANGAY SAPANG BALAS
SAPANG BALAS is a periphery barangay. It is surrounded in the north by Pita, in the south by Luacan, in the east by New San Jose and Sto. Nino and in the west by Mount Malasimbu (Bayan-bayanan and JC Payumo).
It is reachable through the Sapang Balas Barangay Road which leads to New San Jose. The barangay is bounded by irrigation canals on the north and south, and a creek on the eastern part. In addition to the main road, the barangay has seven other minor roads to include Edung, Kawa, Ricardo, Mateo, Abakahan, Kinon and Malunas. Kinon road alone measures about three kilometers long. Edung Road, the shortest, is one kilometer long and 10 meters wide.
Sapang Balas, named after a river originally called “Sapang Buhangin,” was created as a barangay by the Dinalupihan Municipal Council on March 5, 1973 as per Municipal Resolution No. 9. It was former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. who initiated the recognition of the community as a barangay. Unfortunately, no existing document can be found in the records of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan with regards to the exact date of its final approval as a regular barangay.
The barangay has a total land area of 206.30 hectares and a population of 1,117 as of 2000.
BARANGAY STA. ISABEL
STA. ISABEL was created as a regular barangay of Dinalupihan on November 28, 1969 based on Municipal Resolution No. 150 dated October 13, 1969.
The approved name of the barangay, however, was “Tabacan.” But such name was never used. The residents insisted on calling their barangay as Sta. Isabel, the name of their patron saint.
Sta. Isabel is a periphery barangay with a land area of 82.98 hectares. It is bounded in the north by Pentor, in the south by Layac, in the east by Pampanga and in the west by San Ramon. The population of Sta. Isabel was placed at 1,543, based on the 2000 Census.
The barangay is famous for the trees lining up both sides of its major barangay road. Most residents are involved in agriculture and in the production of handicrafts made from bamboos.
In the absence of a regular school, a Day Care program was initially established in Sta. Isabel in 1995. It was followed by the construction of a two-classroom building in 1997. The school was completed in 2004.
BARANGAY STO. NINO
STO. NINO, formerly known as Homesite, was a former sitio of Old San Jose. At that time, the place was already inhabited by 50 families, more or less. They lived in abodes mostly made of wood, sawali for sidings and nipa or cogon for roofing.
As per records of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan, Sto. Nino’s conversion into a regular barangay was approved on January 15, 1962, together with New San Jose. It was made possible during the term of former Mayor Federico A. Muli
Let it be mentioned the a group of men called Seven Up Gang, composed of Dimas Miguel, Cianing Fernandez, Pedro Montemayor, Faustino Hizon, Isaac Bitangcol, Juan Montemayor and Bonifacio David were the ones who initiated the move to convert Sto. Nino to a regular barangay.
Another resolution defining the boundaries of Sto. Nino and its closest neighbor, Kataasan, had been approved during the administration of former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. It was sent to the provincial council for deliberation. The said resolution creating the new barangays of Kataasan and Sto. Nino was approved by Capitol on March 7, 1974.
The present Sto. Nino, one of the most well-planned community in town, has a land area of 71.45 hectares. It is bounded in the north and east by New San Jose, in the south by Kataasan, and in the west by Sapang Balas. It is accessible via the Floridablanca-Dinalupihan National Road and
the New San Jose-General Luna Povincial Road. The four-kilometer long Tambao Street is the longest road in Sto. Nino. It extends to Barangay Luacan in the west.
The barangay population was registered at 3,269 in 2000.
TORRES belongs to the list of 15 town proper barangays of Dinalupihan. It is accessible via the Rizal and Roxas Streets. It is bounded in the north by New San Jose, in the south by Roxas, in the east by Caulaman-Gumain River, and in the west by Sto. Nino.
The land area of Torres measured 1.54 hectares. Its population was registered at 651 in 2000.
It was among the 13 localities within the old Poblacion that was created as a regular barangay on November 28, 1969. Its creation was based on Municipal Resolution No. 158 which was approved by the Sangguniang Bayan on October 13, 1969. Former Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. is acknowledged as the “father” of Barangay Torres.
The name of the barangay was derived from Major Jose Torres Bugallon.
Major Jose Torres Bugallon was an officer of the Revolutionary Government during the Filipino-American war. He was considered as one of the bravest officers of General Emilio Aguinaldo. At the start of the Filipino-American armed clash, Mayor Torres was tasked to defend La Loma in Manila against the troops of General Arthur MacArthur. The Americans bombarded the Filipino positions near the Chinese cemetery with accuracy. It was here where Torres fell mortally wounded.
TUBO-TUBO is one of the three Aeta communities in Dinalupihan. It was formally recognized as a regular barangay by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Bataan on May 3, 1982, together with Barangay Payangan, Maligaya, Bayan-bayanan, Pentor and Aquino.
It was former Mayor Jose C. Payumo and the Sangguniang Bayan (SB) of Dinalupihan who approved the SB Resolution No. 90 dated November 13, 1978 calling for the creation of the barangay.
Tubo-tubo has a land area of 8.26 hectares. It is bounded in the north by Mount Malasimbu and Zambales Mountain, in the south by Pag-asa and Colo, in the east by Maligaya, and in the west by Payangan. It is accessible via Leonora-Pag-asa Road, passing through Barangay Pag-asa.
The barangay covers the area starting from the Llaban (Tubo-tubo) Bridge and northward to Malasimbu. Its main road is the Leonora Street while the minor ones consist of Duhat and Marina Streets.
Of the three Aeta settlements, Tubo-tubo residents were fortunate to have their own cemetery which also serves the other Aetas of Payangan and Bayan-bayanan. In addition, a complete elementary school exists in Tubo-tubo.
As early as 1817, some 50 years before Dinalupihan was acknowledged as a regular town, Tucop was already known as a barrio. It was one of the two barangays prominently mentioned in existing documents found in the National Archives. The records showed that Tucop and Pagalaggang were the two barangays comprising the so-called Dinalupihan Hacienda. It was Manila Archbishop Juan Antonio Zulaibar who opened the rice and sugar plantation between 1817 and 1819.
The on-going free trade between the United States and the Philippines greatly encouraged Archbishop Zulaibar to order the clearing and development of the Tucop section of Dinalupihan for sugar cultivation. The remaining portion of the hacienda was devoted to rice production.
As sugar cultivation started, one Philip C. Whitaker, chief financial advisor of the Archbishop, built a sugar mill in nearby Pagalanggang. Railroad tracks were laid out for the delivery of sugar cane to the mill. Unfortunately, the mill closed after 10 years of operation.
Tucop remained a barrio and a sugar plantation at the same time throughout the American period. It was then called “Hacienda Arastia.” After the Philippine government bought and subdivided the former Dinalupihan estate, the land area of the barrio greatly decreased. On September 30, 1980, what was left of the old Tucop (about 500 hectares) was formally recognized as a regular barrio but with a new name: Sto. Cristo. Still, Tucop continued to be called by its original name,
The barangay (actually composed of Tucop I and Tucop II) is bounded in the north by San Simon, in the south by Pagalanggang, in the east by Caulaman-Gumain River, and in the west by Dalao. It is accessible via the Floridablanca-Dinalupihan Road, a national road. The residential part of the barangay occupies both side of the said road.
The barangay’s 12-kilometer long thoroughfare network is composed of 15 barangay roads, namely Cupang, Dabu, Apitong, Narra, Yakal, Mali, Malabo, Kasoy, Atis, Ipil, Patalastas, Lambingan, Makangkong, Kamias (concrete road) and Enfante. Mabucal Creek runs through the barangay.
Mother Margherita Catholic School, a Catholic International School has been established in the barangay by Italian nuns.
Tucop has a total land area of 479.18 hectares and a population of 3,369 as per 2000 Census.
ZAMORA is a town proper barangay that is closest to Barangay Burgos. It is bounded in the north by Aquino, in the south by Bonifacio, in the east by Gomez, and in the west by Burgos. It was formally recognized as a regular barangay on November 28, 1969 together with 14 other barangays of Dinalupihan.
Mayor Jose C. Payumo Jr. and the Sangguniang Bayan members composed of Vice Mayor Jose L. Duero Sr., and Councilors Serafin Penaflor, Martin Cruz, Deogracias Mendoza, Lamberto Pangilinan, Ricardo Nacu, Damaso Mallari, Guillermo Morales and Rogelio Viray were responsible for passing and approving Municipal Resolution No. 15_ on October 13, 1969.
The two-block barangay, purely a residential community, has a land area of 2.11 hectares and a total population of 493 as of 2000.
The name of the barangay was taken from the original title of the locality’s lone street, Fr. Jacinto Zamora, one of the so-called martyr priests.
Fr. Jacinto Zamora of the Manila Cathedral was among the Gomburza triumvirate who were accused of agitating the growing sentiment against the Spaniards, specifically the friars. They were even blamed for the Cavite Mutiny which transpired in January 1872. The three were initially threatened with excommunication before they were executed in 1872